The Worcester Telegram & Gazette's Coupon Story Contest
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THE CONTEST. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. WINNERS WILL BE CHOSEN BY JUDGES BASED ON STATED CRITERIA. THIS IS NOT A GAME OF CHANCE. ODDS OF WINNING DEPEND ON THE NUMBER AND QUALITY OF ELIGIBLE ENTRIES RECEIVED.
1. SPONSOR: The Worcester Telegram & Gazette, 100 Front St. Street, Worcester, MA 01608.
2. CONTEST OVERVIEW
Sponsor's "Coupon Story" Contest (the "Contest") is a skill-based, essay competition in which participants will compete to be selected by Sponsor as author of the top story based on the stated judging criteria. The author of the winning entry will be awarded a $100.00 gift card, and the winning entry will be published, along with winner's photograph, on www.telegram.com and in The Worcester Telegram & Gazette.
This Contest is open to legal residents of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts who are at least 21 years of age and older. Employees, agents, officers, and directors of Sponsor (including Sponsor's parent company, CA Massachusetts Holdings Inc), their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, distributors, advertising, promotion, fulfillment and marketing agencies, any other prize sponsor, and any entity involved in the development, production, implementation, administration or fulfillment of the Contest and their immediate families, (defined as spouse, child, sibling, parent, or grandparent) and those living in their same households, whether related or not, are NOT eligible to participate in the Promotion. Contest is subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
Each winner may be required to execute a declaration of eligibility and liability release attesting that the winner has complied with all the rules and that the winner releases Sponsor(s) and all prize-supplier companies from all liability for damages or personal injury in connection with the winner's use of the prize, and a publicity release consenting that the Sponsor and anyone they may authorize may, without compensation, use winner's name, story, photograph or other likeness, biographical information and statements concerning the contest or the Sponsor for purposes of advertising and promotion.
4. HOW TO ENTER
Any elements appearing in submitted Stories must be Contest Entrant's original creation and may not include copyrighted, trademarked, patented, or previously published material. Stories may not be copied from the Internet or be professional stories. Use of any elements or other materials that are not original or in the public domain may result in disqualification of Story in Sponsor's sole discretion. By entering, Contest Entrants accept and agree to be bound by these Official Rules, including the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects.
5. CONDITIONS OF CONTEST ENTRY AND ASSIGNMENT OF RIGHTS
As conditions of entry into the Contest, unless prohibited or restricted by law, each Contest Entrant:
- WARRANTS AND REPRESENTS THAT THE CONTEST ENTRANT OWNS ALL RIGHTS TO THE STORY AND ENTRY MATERIALS THAT HE/SHE IS SUBMITTING.
- WARRANTS AND REPRESENTS THAT THE CONTEST ENTRANT HAS OBTAINED PERMISSION FROM EACH PERSON WHO APPEARS IN THE ENTRY MATERIALS TO GRANT THE RIGHTS TO THE SPONSOR DESCRIBED IN THESE RULES AND CAN MAKE SUCH PERMISSIONS AVAILABLE TO SPONSOR UPON REQUEST.
- WARRANTS AND REPRESENTS THAT HIS/HER ENTRY MATERIALS ARE ORIGINAL AND HAVE BEEN LEGALLY OBTAINED AND CREATED, AND DO NOT INFRINGE THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS OR ANY OTHER LEGAL OR MORAL RIGHTS OF ANY THIRD PARTY.
- Irrevocably grants to Sponsor and its affiliates, legal representatives, assigns, agents and licensees, the worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sub licensable, unconditional, perpetual and transferable right and license to copyright (only as applicable), reproduce, encode, store, modify, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, display, edit for length and content, publicly perform, adapt, exhibit and/or otherwise use or reuse (without limitation as to when or to the number of times used), the Entrant's name, address, image, likeness, statements, biographical material and Entry Materials, including, but not limited to, the Stories contained in any of the above items, as well as any additional photographic images and other materials relating to the Entrant and arising out of his/her participation in this Contest (with or without using the Entrant's name) (collectively, the "Additional Materials") (in each case, as submitted or as edited/modified in any way, whether by the Sponsor, its Licensees, or assigns, in the Sponsor's sole discretion) in any media throughout the world for any purpose, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from the Entrant or any other party.
- Irrevocably grants to Sponsor and its affiliates, legal representatives, assigns, agents and licensees, the worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sub licensable, unconditional, perpetual and transferable right and license to use the Entry Materials for advertising, promotional or commercial purposes, including without limitation, the right to publicly display, reproduce and distribute the Entry Materials in any media format or medium and through any media channels. Entrant's name, story and city of residence may be published on any HMG-owned website or in any HMG-owned publication.
- Forever waives any rights of privacy, intellectual property rights, and any other legal or moral rights that may preclude Sponsor's use of the Entrant's Entry Materials or Additional Materials, or require the Contest Entrant's permission for Sponsor to use them for promotional purposes, and agrees not to sue or assert any claim against the Sponsor arising out of Sponsor's use of those Materials.
- Acknowledges and agrees that: (a) Sponsor has access to and/or may create or have created literary, visual, and/or other materials, ideas, and concepts which may be similar or identical to the Entry Materials in theme and/or other respects; (b) the Contest Entrant will not be entitled to any compensation or other consideration because of the use by Sponsor of any such similar or identical material, ideas, and/or concepts; and (c) Sponsor's use of material containing elements similar to or identical with those contained in the Entry Materials or any Story shall not obligate Sponsor to negotiate with nor entitle Contest Entrant to any compensation or other claim.
- Agrees to indemnify and hold the Sponsor and its affiliates, officers, directors, agents, co-branders or other partners, and any of their employees (collectively, the "Promotion Indemnitees"), harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Promotion Indemnitees arising out of or in connection with: (a) any Entry Materials or Additional Materials (including, but not limited to, any and all claims of third parties, whether or not groundless, based on the submission of such other material); (b) any breach by Entrant of any warranty, agreement or representation contained in the Official Rules or terms of service or in any documentation submitted by Entrant; (c) the Entrant's conduct during and in connection with this Contest, including but not limited to trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation; or (d) the acceptance of any prize.
- Acknowledges and agrees that: Entry cannot defame or invade the rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any third party's personal, proprietary, or intellectual rights. Entry cannot contain illegal or unlawful material, and must not promote bigotry, racism, harm, or discrimination. Entry must be consistent with Sponsor's reputation in the marketplace and must be suitable for audiences of all ages. Entries which, in Sponsor's or judges' sole discretion, contain any type of vulgarity or objectionable content will be disqualified. Entries that do not meet these stated criteria, or entries that (in Sponsor's or judges' sole discretion) may technically meet the stated criteria but do not reflect the intent and the spirit of the Contest, are not eligible. Entry constitutes Contest Entrant's certification that s/he is the owner of the entry and is able and authorized to submit it.
6. SPONSOR'S RIGHT TO DISQUALIFY
At any time during the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and unfettered discretion, to disqualify and remove any Story that it believes does not meet the spirit or requirements of the Official Rules. The decisions of the Sponsor on this and all matter relating to the Contest are final and binding.
7. WINNER SELECTION PROCESS
Entry closes at 11:59PM ET on Sunday 5/31/2015. Entries will be judged between 6/1/2015 and 6/3/2015. Sponsor and/or Sponsor's designated representatives will serve as judge(s) ("Judge"). Judges will evaluate Entries based on the following criteria:
- Criterion 1: Writing Structure and Clarity – 20% of total score
- Criterion 2: Creativity - 20% of total score
- Criterion 3: Relevance – 40% of total score
- Criterion 4: Level of Detail – 20% of total score
The Story with the highest score will be the grand prize winner ("Winner"). In the event of ties affecting winner selection, the Judges will revisit the tied Entries and select as winner the Entry that score highest on Criterion 3, "Relevance". The name of the Winner, as well as the Winner's story and photograph, will be published on or around 6/12/2015 on www.telegram.com and in The Worcester Telegram & Gazette. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received and the quality of the entries received.
Potential winner will be notified on or about 6/4/2015 via electronic mail (e-mail) or by phone, using the contact information provided in the Entry. A potential winner has four (4) days from sending of notification to claim his/her prize by responding via electronic mail (e-mail) or an alternate winner will be selected. Winner will be asked to submit a photograph, to be displayed on www.telegram.com and in The Worcester Telegram & Gazette with the winning Story. Non-compliance with these official rules or, if a selected potential winner cannot be contacted, provides incorrect e-mail or mailing address, is ineligible, fails to claim a prize or if the Prize Notification or prize is returned as undeliverable, an alternate winner will be selected. Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission for Sponsor to use winner's story, photograph, name and likeness for advertising and promotional purposes without compensation, unless otherwise prohibited by law.
8. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUES ("ARV")
One (1) Grand Prize: One (1) Grand Prize will be awarded in total. The Grand Prize consists of:
- One (1) $100.00 gift card to a super market in Worcester County, Massachusetts, USA (Winners may choose between Shaw's, Stop & Shop, Price Chopper, Big Y, or Whole Foods) (ARV = $100); and
- Publication of the Story on www.telegram.com and in The Worcester Telegram & Gazette (ARV= priceless).
Total ARV for Grand Prize is $100.
Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. Taxes on prize are the sole responsibility of the winner. Any and all guarantees and warranties for merchandise prizes are subject to the manufacturer's and/or service providers terms and conditions, and winners agree to look solely to such manufacturers and/or service providers for any warranty or guarantee claim. Prizes are non-transferable and no substitution or cash equivalent is allowed except in Sponsor's sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes of the same approximate retail value. For prizes $600 or more in value to an individual winner in a calendar year, winner's social security number or taxpayer i.d. will be required in order to issue a Form 1099-MISC showing prize ARV as income to winner. Prize consists only of items specifically listed as part of the prize. All costs and expenses not specified herein, related to any prize, including but not limited to delivery, installation, service activation fees, sales tax and other expenses incurred by accepting the prize, are the sole responsibility of the Winner. Limit one (1) prize per person.
9. PUBLICITY RELEASE
Except where prohibited, by participating in the Contest or by acceptance of a prize constitutes Contest Entrant's consent that his or her name, likeness, voice and/or biographical data may be used for advertising and promotional purposes, without limitation and without additional notice, compensation, or consent.
By entering the Contest, Entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other errors in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest or the announcement of the prizes, including erroneous appearance of qualification for a prize, and under no circumstances will more than the stated number of prizes be awarded. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, damaged, incomplete or illegal entries. By participating, Contest Entrant agrees to release and hold harmless Sponsor, participating dealers and retailers, affiliates, sales representatives, distributors and promotional and other vendor agencies, their respective parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, service agencies, independent contractors, and the officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives of any of the above organizations from any injury, loss or damage to person, including death, or property due in-whole or in-part, directly or indirectly, to the acceptance or use/misuse of a prize, participation in any Contest-related activity, or participation in the Contest.
Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify the Contest Entry of any individual found to be: (a) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or any Sponsor website; (b) violating the Official Rules; (c) violating the terms of service, conditions of use and/or general rules or guidelines of any Sponsor property or service; or (d) acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. Further, Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entry which, in Sponsor's sole opinion, is deemed to be offensive, libelous, slanderous, inflammatory, or otherwise inappropriate in any way for this Contest.
This Contest is intended for viewing in the United States and shall be construed and evaluated only according to United States law. Do not enter this Contest if you are not located in the United States. The use of any automated devices in connection with this Contest is prohibited. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for computer system, hardware, software or program malfunctions or other errors, failures, delayed computer transactions or network connections, whether human, technical or otherwise in nature. CAUTION ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any computer, online, telephone transmission or technical malfunctions that may occur during participation in the Contest (including, without limitation, the voting phases of the Contest), or theft, destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, Entry Materials. Sponsor is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by website users, Entrants, or any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest, or for any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of submissions or votes in the Contest. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation of transmission, failures or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, providers, computer equipment, software, email, players or browsers, whether on account of technical problems, traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or on account of any combination of the foregoing (including but not limited to any such problems which may result in the inability to access the Contest Site or to submit Entry Materials in connection with the Contest). Sponsor is not responsible for any injury or damage to participants or to any computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in this Contest. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, including but not limited to fire, flood, epidemic, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, satellite or equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, war (declared or undeclared), terrorist threat or activity, or any federal, state or local government law, order or regulation, order of any court or jurisdiction, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest and select winners from among that portion of the Contest that has not been compromised, if any. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel this contest at any time without obligation or prior notice.
11. DISPUTES/GOVERNING LAW
EXCEPT WHERE PROHIBITED, AS A CONDITION OF PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST, CONTEST ENTRANTS AGREE THAT ANY AND ALL DISPUTES WHICH CANNOT BE RESOLVED BETWEEN THE PARTIES, CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THIS CONTEST, ANY PRIZE AWARDED, OR THE DETERMINATION OF WINNERS SHALL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION. FURTHER, IN ANY SUCH DISPUTE, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ENTRANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN AWARDS FOR, AND HEREBY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO CLAIM PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, INCLUDING ATTORNEYS' FEES, OTHER THAN ENTRANT'S ACTUAL OUT-POCKET EXPENSES (E.G. COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ENTERING THIS CONTEST), AND ENTRANT FURTHER WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR INCREASED.
In the event of a dispute as to the identity of a winner based on email address, the winning entry will be declared made by the Authorized Account Holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. For purposes of these Official Rules, "Authorized Account Holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g. business, educational, institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address.
All issues and questions regarding rights and obligations of Entrants in connection with this Contest shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, U.S.A., without giving effect to the conflict of laws and rules thereof and any matters or proceedings which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in these Official Rules and/or for entering any judgment on an arbitration award, shall take place in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
The parties waive rights to trial by jury in any action or proceeding instituted in connection with these Official Rules and/or this Contest. Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these Official Rules and/or this Contest shall be settled by binding arbitration in accordance with the commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any such controversy or claim shall be arbitrated on an individual basis, and shall not be consolidated in any arbitration with any claim or controversy of any other party. The arbitration shall be conducted in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and judgment on the arbitration award may be entered into any court having jurisdiction thereof.
13. WINNER'S LIST/RULES REQUESTS
For a copy of the Official Rules or the winners' names, send a separate, stamped, self-addressed envelope to:
The Worcester Telegram & Gazette's Coupon Story Contest 100 Front St. Street, Worcester, MA 01608.
Requests received after 7/31/2015 may not be honored.